I have the unique opportunity to be the Public Affairs Specialist over Media for my church in the area that we live. Like other churches, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints devotes time and energy to help with different charitable organisations. Each year the Maidstone, Orpington, Hastings church areas come together as a "stake" and donate boxes, toys, treats, and hygiene supplies to the Shoebox Appeal charity event called "Love in a Box." I contacted the local paper and they came to our church in Maidstone and took some pictures of the service and did a write up on the event. I was amazed at how many members of our church and also members of the community came together to provide small Christmas boxes for children in need.
There were other ways to donate money such as face painting, sweets auction, hair cuts, car washes, etc... My special helper and I went straight from Gym to the event and spent the rest of the time putting together boxes for children. This was a great family event and Ads became really excited as she was able to put together a number of boxes with toys and treats for other little girls her age. The idea that this was all the children would be receiving for Christmas really made an impression on Ads.
We were also pleased to have the Deputy Mayor Rodd Nelson-Gracie and his wife join us for the event.
The President of the Maidstone Stake, President Turner.
The Deputy Mayor hard at work putting together a box.
I had a wonderful time participating in "Love in a Box" and look forward to attending with Ads again next year.