Tuesday, 23 November 2010

On My OWn


I did it! I took the kids out on my own and survived. I was able to load Willie up in the pack, head out to Westminster Underground, change at Victoria Station and get on the National Rail to Orpington. Hooray! It is funny the way people look at me like I have tried to populate the world on my own by having 2 children. I can't wrap my head around it. Yesterday on the train Willie squawked once, and the man in front of us turned around, looked at us, and then changed not seats, but rail cars. Most people in Europe have only 1 or 2 children....this is all they can afford to support. I also think that it is all they want to be responsible for. It is not easy getting around with 2 little ones and so I think for convenience they max out at 1. Everyone we have met who is from the UK has 2 children, and only 2. Yesterday in Victoria Adessa clipped some guy on her scooter. This fella turned around and gave her the look of death, literally she was in tears. Adessa quickly apologised, but the glare continued and he turned and walked away. At this point Adessa is scared and wondering why when she said she was sorry he didn't forgive her, "Well my dear, not everyone is forgiving." That was pretty much all I could think to tell her. You have to imagine that some of these people have children and I am sure they had siblings growing up, but sheesh, you would think that 2 kids was way beyond what any human being should be having. I guess this is just one of those things I will have to get used to. Just as weird as the person in UT that says to me, "so, you only have 2 kids huh? You know, you are getting older." I am starting to feel like wherever I go I can't get it right :) Too many, not enough. Too funny. Now that I am used to the ornery looks about my kids, I am just fine to get out and about and ride the train. On my own.

No comments: