Have I mentioned how excited I was to run the Virgin London Marathon? Practically busting out of my skin excited. *BOOM* The minute we moved to London I knew that I wanted to run the London Marathon, but what I didn't realise was just how difficult it is to get into this race. The VLM is ranked as one of the top 5 Marathons in the world to run which makes it VERY difficult to get into. Long story short, after several attempts to get into the Marathon I finally was given a place through my local running club the Orpington Road Runners. When my friend Pat found out that I was running the Marathon she asked me if I would use my Marathon opportunity to raise money for her charity Sarcoma Cancer. Pat has Sarcoma Cancer which began in the blood vessels of her nose and has since spread to her lungs and brain. I could tell that raising monies for this charity was very personal and important to my friend Pat and so my training and fundraising began.
For the past 18 weeks I trained pretty hard with my goal in mind of running a sub 4hr. Marathon or at least beating my best time of 4:06:09. I spent a lot of time thinking about Pat and her struggles as I faced my own little struggles through my training. I was inspired by Pat's optimism and her ability to continue to endure the difficult times when it would be so easy to want to give up and as I ran I thought about the nature of enduring and the mental strength and power that is required to endure when you physically have nothing left. I love the saying of "Mind over Matter" and feel like it has become a big part of my mantra in life. If we see it and believe it I definitely believe that we CAN achieve it. That's not to say that it will be easy, but if you want it badly enough, it can be done.
On the Wednesday before the race I went to the ExCel centre and picked up my race pack. It was fun seeing and having a quick chat with my friend Dave from Road Runners who was leaving as I was heading in. I picked up my race pack and immediately had butterflies in my stomach. They had predicted that there would be 70,000 people visiting the VLM expo before the race. As I was leaving they had photo booths where they took your picture and provided clips for you to hang it with messages for other runners or visitors. I thought this was a really clever idea and a fun way to get a picture with your number. I was a greasy hot mess when I went to get my pack, but the picture that was taken I think really captures just how excited I am to be able to run this race.
The number 1 question I hear before running a Marathon is "So, are you ready?" MY answer is always the same, NO! I personally NEVER feel ready to run the Marathon. I never doubt that I will finish, but finishing in the manner I hope to is always unknown, thus not quite feeling ready. Ready or not, I did know that I had a lot of friends and family cheering me on both near and far and that always leaves me feeling loved, comforted and reassured. The kids suited up in their shirts and were really excited to come show their support to their Momma.
Before the race I demonstrated to my husband what I would look like crossing the finish line strong and triumphant. Um yeah, the picture of me finishing looked a lot different than this one. Picture a hot sweaty white salt encrusted body with a twisted ugly cry face staggering like a drunken sailor across the finish line. Be grateful for the fantasy crossing picture, the real one would have made you crinkle your brow.
Dave, Mick and Martin picked me up and gave me a lift to the train station where we met a bunch of other Road Runners on the platform. I must admit that I laughed a bit about the idea of running with an organised running club when the invitation was first extended to me. Organised running clubs aren't common where I am from and so it felt a bit odd for me at first thought to join one. I can say with my hand to my heart that it has been the best thing EVER. Transitioning in a new country is not easy, but the Orpington Road Runners have always been friendly and I have felt very comfortable running and chatting with the people I have met in the club. The nervous energy as we waited for the train was electric and I think we were all pretty excited for our race.
When you run the Marathon they line you up to start according to your time. Since I received my place through the club and it came a bit later they had most likely already filled the group that I should have started with. I knew straight away that I was in a slower group than I was hoping to run and I started to get really nervous about achieving the time I wanted. When the race began I found my fears to be true as we waffled between jogs and walking in the first mile and even into the second mile of the race. I felt like those fish who all swim really close together causing the momentum of their swimming to prevent them from being able to break out of the school. Thus you have a mighty pillar of swirling fish that get eaten by sharks because they can't break free. Well, I was a fish and the shark was the clock. When I got to mile 3 and was able to get out of the pack a bit I found that I was using a lot of my energy moving around people adding to my distance and prematurely exhausting my muscles. I got so focused on making up for lost time that I think I pushed it too hard.
I was pacing great through the first half and met mile 13.1 at 1:54:00, which is great. I carried on feeling really hot as it was a particularly warm and sunny day but I kept fluids in me to keep from salt depleting and cramping. Great plan. Unfortunately, at mile 20 I started to get cramping in my quads. I had this happen for the first time ever when I ran the Brighton Marathon last year. I had no idea what it was so I kept running until the muscles would cramp so badly that I could not move. This time I recognised what was happening earlier on so when I felt it starting I would walk and stretch to keep the muscles from cramping so badly that I could not move. This however cost me time. My goal in getting a sub 4 time was lost at mile 23, which is when I really enjoyed the race the most. It is amazing how we can sometimes put so much pressure on ourselves that we lose sight of the joy and the fun in what we are doing. I spent the last 3 miles waving and giving high fives to people that I ran past.
In the end I finished the race in 4:10:25 and good 11 minutes slower than I had hoped, but it was truly an amazing experience and I am so grateful that I got to run the London Marathon. I learnt that I need to go back to my roots and live by the principles I followed when I first started running, slow and steady. I need to chill out at the beginning of the race and not weave in and out of so many people. By the end of the Marathon I had run nearly 27 miles in distance from all of the weaving I had done in the race. Crazy eh? Next time I run a Marathon I will start out slow and I will run in a straight line! When I saw the finish line just past Buckingham Palace and the Victoria Monument (pretty cool huh!) I burst into tears. I could not keep them in and had to remind myself to breathe. What a memorable and glorious day for me.
When I arrived at home after the race there was this banner hanging in front of my house. I knew immediately that it was Hugh and Mary. I am so blessed to have this amazing adopted family here in Hugh and Mary. They were so proud of me, gave me a huge hug and had been watching for me on the t.v. Lucky lucky me. Mary topped the whole thing off with the UK's BEST homemade scones filled with cream and jam which she brought over for me. Bless her, love her.
I was overwhelmed by the love shown to me by friends. Aparna and family gave me a sweet card and a chocolate bar, Louise and family gave me a sweet card, Maria and family had made cards, Liz baked us a cake, Leisha brought a diet Pepsi and some chocolate popcorn, Maren had sent my amazing race package the week before and then loads of friends and family had sent me messages wishing me luck showing their love and support.
Every woman loves her bling, some bling with diamonds while others bling with medals. I choose medals. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with diamonds (love), but I just so happen to be more of a bling with medals kind of girl.
I had to capture a close up of the detail on the banner Hugh and Mary made. The pair of them had my USA flag, my UK flag, my UT State flag, a picture of the Sego Lily our state flower and then a picture of me on the banner. When people say "it is the thought that counts," it really is true. I cannot even begin to marvel at the thought and detail that went into this sweet banner not to mention time, which EVERYONE is short of. I will have a special place in my heart for Hugh and Mary until the day I die!
As my fundraising for Sarcoma Cancer and my friend Pat was a huge part of my journey I put this picture on the back of my shirt for the Marathon. I was honoured to run this race as a Road Runner raising money for a worthy cause and a classy loving and elect lady. My overall London Marathon experience was a 10 and I am really glad that my Number 4 was London. Now, I have my number 5 on May 6th, so let's see if I can practice what I preach and start my race off slow and steady. If you feel compelled to donate to Sarcoma Cancer you can donate on my justgiving page: https://www.justgiving.com/Ashley-Talbot/ Thank you to the Orpington Road Runners for giving me this opportunity and experience.










