Today we headed to a village in Germany called Schwangau to see Neuschwantein Castle. Neuschwanstein Castle = AMAZING! This fantastic piece of Architecture was the inspiration for Walt Disney's "Sleeping Beauty's Castle" and in 2007 was a finalist to become one of the New 7 Wonders of the World.
Hohenschwangau Castle was built by King Ludwig II's father Maximillian II, and was King Ludwig's childhood residence. Hohenschwangau Castle resides below Neunschwanstein Castle.
Bavaria
Yodel-Aa-Ee-Oo! Don't you just love his cute little dimple :) *pinch*
I asked this cute little fellow if I could take a picture of him with the Pink One. He was sweet and posted up where he thought I could get the best shot. After taking the picture I thanked him and gave him a Euro for letting me photograph his face.
Tom Cruise baby. "Take My Breath Away...doo doo doo.....doo doo doo..." He totally looks like Tom Cruise in Top Gun here, I guess that's what happens when you let your wife hurry and cut your hair the night before you leave on your holiday. We actually had a lady ask us if Hubby was stationed here....I snickered. I think he should just start paying to get his hair cut.
My studly budlies.
My cute lederhosen friend came up to me and said, "You didn't take my picture with your husband and son?" Oh, I am sorry. "No pay me more money, but picture." Okey, so I posted them up and photographed them together. I was tickled that he wanted to be sure I hadn't left the bambino out of the pictures with him. A little while after taking the picture I went to the gift shop to mull over some post cards when I felt a tap on my shoulder........
"I was thinking.....picture with daughter, picture with husband and son, but no picture with you. Come, you must have picture, no more money, but picture." It's not like we were the only people at the Castle, there were hundreds of tourists there, but he had thought about the fact that I needed my picture with him and so he was going to do something about it. So sweet. I must say that I have found with the German people I met, that when they make up their mind that they want something or want to do something, they will do it. I really liked that quality in the people I met. So many people would have cared less if I had my picture taken, but not him.
Yes, that badge says "Elder Talbot." Crazy right. The District had gone to Neuschwanstein on P-day, and lo and behold, we bumped into them. The strangest bit is that this Elder Talbot was from California, but his family is from Panguitch where Hubby's family is from. They played the "do you know game" and discovered that they are in fact cousins. The world really is small.
The Latter Day Saint Missionaries.
Sleeping Beauty, baby.
She definitely felt like a Princess hanging out at this Castle.
Beautiful Bavaria
The Castle.
The Fam
Neuschwanstein Castle was designed by a set designer and was created by Ludwig II to honour the composer Wagner. Ludwig II's throne room was the most amazing room I have EVER seen, every bit of the Castle takes your breath away. King Ludwig II had a among other things, a cave built inside the Castle. The king only lived in the partially finished Castle a short time before he was declared mad, sent away, and mysteriously drowned along with his doctor. I have my own theories about Ludwig II and his strange and reclusive behaviour, but I will keep my theories to myself.
The drive from Germany to Interlaken, Switzerland.
More of the German into Swiss countryside.
We were able to make it through the Alps just before the sun had set, thankfully. If anyone goes to Germany and doesn't see Neuschwanstein Castle they should be spanked.....repeatedly. This is as much of a must see as Stonehenge and the Taj Mahal, in my opinion. The town is fantastic and rather than spending the night in Rothenberg, I would have preferred to spend the night in Schwangau. Next time.





















No comments:
Post a Comment