The beautiful Bavarian countryside.
The Black Forest. The forest received this name when the Romans discovered it and thought that the forest was so dense and thick inside that it looked like it was night time during the day. The forest was beautiful, and thick, and made me feel like I was in the mountains of UT again.

Another cross displayed in nature as you enter into the little village.

I bought 1 for each of the piggies, but guess who downed them? We'll just say that it wasn't the little piggies :)
The market square in Rothenberg ob der Tauber. This is sort of the hub and center point of the town. we were lucky enough to stay in a hotel right on the market, especially because there isn't parking nearby in the town. The Hubby was privileged to use his muscles to haul our luggage from the parking centre to our hotel on the square.

Somewhere to run.....wild.....and free? YES!


Rothenberg is known as the Christmas town and is responsible for many of the traditions and ways we celebrate Christmas today. I loved seeing the way that the Christmas trees were originally decorated, and I enjoyed learning about how the tradition of decorating trees became "trendy." It all goes back to Royalty, I also loved the theory and practice of "the more the decorations, the merrier."

The piggies loved this giant nutcracker.

We loved the traditional Christmas decorations so much that we splurged and bought a "Christmas Pyramid" (which is the pyramid with the fan on the top), a Nutcracker, and a Kathe Wohlfahrt ornament for each of the piggies. We also bought a stein for the Blue One from the sweetest lady who owns "The Cuckoo Clock Store" named Anneliese Friese, she gave the Pink One a teddy dressed in traditional German attire and the Blue One a little Mini Cooper toy car. We then went next door and bought a fabulous little Cuckoo clock, which the Pink One asked if she could have when she gets old :)
My mom has always decorated her outdoor tree's at Easter time with hanging plastic eggs. She adopted this tradition when she lived in NY after my older brother was born and before I was conceived. Apparently she had neighbours who decorated with hanging eggs, which she loved, and so she began the tradition for our family. I am now guessing that mom's neighbours must have been of German decent, because all the trees and greenery were decorated with eggs.

This was the souvenir we bought for the Pink One. Okay, okay, maybe it isn't fair that the Blue One gets a stein and the Pink One gets a chastity belt, but C'mon. Seriously though, who in the world would wear one of these things?! Were women really made to waddle around with a hunk of metal between their legs to keep them virtuous? I want to know who was responsible for this stupid idea so that I can design a special something for them to wear.

This shrine was in memory of the Jewish citizens that were burned to death in Rothenberg in the middle ages. The Hubby and I both found it interesting that there was only a small plaque in memory of all the Jewish citizens forced out of the village during WWII, but a big shrine honouring the ones burned to death in the middle ages. Maybe a larger memorial would have been a nicer touch than a very small plaque in an obscure location. Just my opinion.

I love that my piggies have fun together.

Cutest curtains EVER.

Umm yes, I will take one of each please. Hello! They were absolutely gorgeous.

Is that bread bunny wreath the cutest thing you have ever seen? I loved it.

This is the most amazing village I have wandered through. Look at this place, it is fantastic!


Crooked houses, cobbled streets, and narrow alleyways.

I even loved this guy hanging out his window having a chat with some people on the street. I felt like I was in a movie.

Egg decor as described earlier.

On the Market.

While I was sitting on the steps of the church in the market square I noticed this fellow all decked out in his traditional German clothing. Of course I approached him and asked if I could take his picture with the piggies. He didn't speak any English, but through smiles and charades he understood what I wanted and he humoured me.

When I had finished photographing him with the piggies I took a picture of him all decked out by himself. When I smiled and said "danke" he spoke to me in German and I could tell that he wanted ME to have my picture with him. He immediately started looking around the square for someone to come and take my picture when he saw Hubby sitting on the steps. Arm waving toward us, he motioned for Hubby to come take our picture. Hubby was a little startled and embarrassed that this fellow wanted him to come photograph him with his wife. Obviously, my German friend didn't know that Hubby and I belonged together. Hubby was a bit pink and a bit cracked up, but he humoured our friend and took the picture.

Ta-Da! Aren't we a lovely pair? ;) The best part was that when Hubby had finished taking the picture the fellow kept speaking to me in German and smiling (Hubby said he was totally flirting with me). Hubby then turned to him and asked to have his picture taken with him and handed me the camera. At this point the fellow realises we are together and he literally frowned. It was hilarious. You can tell that the fellow is a little less "into" the picture with Hubby than he was with me.

We laughed about this for hours, and when we bumped into him again he tried to chat with me some more. Too bad I couldn't understand a word he said, I guess I will never know.

Our quirky little fam.

My description of Germany would be "white villages with orange roof tops." Germany is amazingly beautiful.

Linus deserves a post all to himself, but I will briefly acknowledge his presence. I have named the Blue One's blanket Linus for obvious reasons, and the dang thing has to go with him everywhere we go. The funny thing is that he was never attached to Linus until we moved to the UK, and because I feel some guilt about it I accept the Linus into our adventures. Linus has quickly become one well travelled blanket.

Time-out.
I just love this little munchkin face.
This is where out hotel was located.


And by the end of our Rothenberg sight seeing day and delicious Kebob dinner, it was time for a little Gelato. Oh yes baby. We all sat on the steps silently munching away on one of the finest things in life. I just wish that the cones were bigger :) Maybe my heaven will have never ending Gelato's, I can see it.



Rothenberg ob der Taub is an AMAZING village. I would not miss this village for the world, but I also think that only 1 day is needed here. There is so much to see in Germany that an extended stay in Rothenberg is pointless. Be sure that if you visit this town that you come prepared to shop and get some good souvenirs. The history of this town is fascinating, and the food is delicious. 3 thumbs up for Rothenberg ob der Taub.

No comments:
Post a Comment