Monday, 2 May 2011

Road Trip Day 2: Holland

Tulips, tulips, and more tulips. Holland in the Spring is unbelievably gorgeous! We headed out first thing to Keukenhof Gardens which is the worlds largest flower garden. The garden is mainly composed of tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths. The hyacinths were fragrant and the tulips massive. The Hubby and I both saw breeds of tulips and daffodils we had never seen before. After wandering and munching through the gardens we headed out to see the windmills in Zaanse Schans. There were once a thousand windmills that dotted this countryside, but now only a handful of them remain.




Tree Hugger
Bulb Fields




After Hubby took my picture some Asian tourists wanted pictures of the piggies. The piggies just stood there and smiled. I wonder if they go home and show all of their friends these little blond children? It reminds me of when I was a 20 year old young thang in Italy, an old man kept scooting closer, and closer, and closer to me until he reached over, touched my hair and then got up and left. It was a little weird. I am guessing that he just wanted to see what blond hair felt like?







The kids loved the park in the middle of Keukenhof Gardens. We grabbed some yummy lunch and sat at a picnic table and let the piggies play. I LOVED everything about this place!




This was of course my favourite meal on our trip, chocolate covered Belgian waffle, powdered sugared Belgian waffle, and best of all little pancakes covered in butter and powdered sugar.








Some of the tulips were as tall as the Pink One.....

and some of them went up to her shoulders.


People kayaking on the canals in Holland around the bulb fields.

While in Holland we went to a wooden shoe factory where we were able to see wooden shoes actually being made. LOVED it. It was amazing to watch the shoes taking shape right before your eyes out of a hunk of wood. We bought a pair for each of the piggies and a pair for decoration in our home.

A wooden shoe in the process of taking shape.

The different stages of a wooden block becoming a wooden shoe.

After photographing the Pink One I put her in 1 of the shoes and the Blue One in the other shoe. I snapped a picture when all of a sudden I looked through the lens and saw......

this cute little tourist posed between my children having her picture taken. I giggled and took a picture just to prove to the Hubby that it really happened. No sooner had she had her picture taken than.....

Outta the way, my turn! The funny part of all of this is that at Keukenhof Gardens we had a couple of different tourists ask to take pictures of the children. Must be the blonde hair?

We were able to visit a cheese factory. The Hubby splurged and bought us a 3yr. aged goat cheese and a lovely baby gouda. On our way to the hotel we stopped and bought a baguette and some pepperoni sticks and dined away on our fancy schmancy cheese.

The piggies were excited to run up and check out the "giant" windmills.

The windmills are colourfully and perfectly painted and maintained.

There were 7 windmills along this Dike, it was amazing. I absolutely love windmills and have a bit of a fascination with them, there is something very hypnotic about windmills (probably the turning).

Yes you are seeing what you think you are seeing. I was walking in a very high trafficked area when this dude runs over to the fence and starts to pee. What!? Tourists all around and you just whip it out and pee? I am pretty sure that isn't okay in any civilised country.

Hubby was super excited when he saw the name of this boat, "Gandalf," For all of you LOTR fans.

Jerry Garcia LIVES! We practically stalked this poor fellow to get a good picture of him, and we did.

I loved this bicycle leaning up against the building. It looks just like a bicycle I would like to hop on and ride.

Holland was my favourite day. I loved everywhere we went and everything we did in Holland. I will go back and visit Bruges and Holland again, probably on the same trip and spending more time in Leiden, Holland. Kid friendly, family friendly, picturesque, and great souvenirs.


No comments: