Monday, 21 May 2012

My Trip Home: Day 1- The Long Journey

I was totally freaked out about missing my flight. My flight was scheduled to land a couple of hours before Mom's Dance Concert started, but should anything go wrong I would miss the last night of the show. I got up at 2:30 a.m. and had John drive me to the airport at 3:00 a.m. My flight left at 7:45 a.m., I arrived at the airport at 3:45 a.m., and the ticket window opened up at 4:30 a.m. So yeah......I was early.



Totally knackered, but ready to go home to Utah.


My flight to Chicago was really rough. I was tired, the flight was really long, and I felt really fidgety. I am a mover and a shaker, so sitting for 8 hours is total torture! When I arrived in Chicago I had to collect my baggage, re-check my bags, go through passport and security, and then I had to sprint to my gate so as to not miss my flight. Fortunately, my flight was a bit delayed, so I did not miss it.....whew.


Because my flight was delayed I only had a half an hour after getting to my Mom's house to shower and be ready to surprise Grandma Great and get to the Dance Concert. My sister had landed from New York 45 minutes before my flight landed so Mom and sister waited for me. It was really fun to see my sister and Mom standing there with big smiles and open arms. I am one lucky girl.


Me, Sister, and Mom. My sister and I obviously got the Swedish genes.


Mom flew me in from London, my sister in from New York, and my SIL in from Texas. We all stood on Grandma's porch in a line, rang the bell, and then shouted "Happy Mother's Day!" We didn't realise that we could have killed Grandma (82 years old) dead from the surprise. Grandma's heart nearly beat out of her chest and she was weak in the knee's, but thrilled about the surprise.

Gucci, Me, Great, Melissa, Sherri, and Shannon


We boogied on over to the Dance Concert and got great seats. It is so much fun seeing these gorgeous girls that I have taught dance since they were 3 years old graduate from our studio as they turn 18 and graduate High School. The girls looked beautiful in their formals as they were presented with their graduate bouquets. The concert was fabulous and Mom's directors piece "America" from West Side Story stole the show. I do have to laugh at her choice of music........"America"........really? I get the message Mom. I know that it is hard for Mom not having me at the studio, but it is just as hard for me to not be teaching dance.....which I have done for 16 years.


As tradition holds we went to Leatherby's after the concert. Leatherby's not only has freakishly over the top ice creams, but they also have the worlds greatest chicken finger basket with fry sauce. Starting to drool just thinking about it. By the time we hit Leatherby's I had been without sleep for 34 hours and was starting to get a bit dizzy. However, my sleep deprivation did not keep me from pigging out on some of my favourite UT food.




I ordered a chocolate malt.....my favourite. It was as good as it always is. 



After the show we headed home and in a sleep deprived vertigo like haze I crashed into bed. I had a great first evening in UT and I must admit that it felt really really nice to be home.