I made a big mistake. Not just a big mistake, but a Big.... Big.... Ugly.... mistake. I was flipping channels and saw that the "Biggest Loser UK" was on, I paused, and I watched it. In the UK they calculate weight based on stones. A stone is 14lbs. On the Biggest Loser the contestants were like 18st. and 27st. So, after calculating their weight I wondered just how many stones I weighed. Morbid curiosity got the better of me. From this point onward it just goes to a devilishly hot place in a hand basket. I crept upstairs, stepped on the scale, and SCREAMED. We'll just say that I have 2 stones of fat to lose and 1 stone of muscle to gain. John bought P90X a year or so ago, so, I pulled the blooming thing out and got busy. Day 1: Ab Ripper X and Kenpo. Day 2: Back and Legs. Day 3: Completely unable to move. No JOKE. I feel like I was struck by a freight train. Every muscle in my body aches, can't sit, can't walk, can't sleep. Too much pain.

I have always loved exercise. When I was teaching Junior High School in 2005 I was training and registered for the Salt lake Marathon. I felt awesome and was in great shape. Two months before the Marathon I found out I was pregnant, and so I stopped training right away. I know that everybody knows someone who ran a Marathon pregnant, but I wasn't going to risk this pregnancy for all the Marathons in the world.
When The Pink One was 3yrs. in 2008, I decided that it was time to get back into shape. Nobody wants to be that mom who can't get up off the couch and chase their kids around, but let's face it, reclaiming your body after child birth is incredibly hard. I love to exercise, but I also love sweeties. The slow and long process of training from scratch began, but each week I started to feel stronger and stronger. Running became my escape, my sanity, my me time. I love to run. I was dedicated to my training and thrived with the support of the Hubby and friends offering words of encouragement. I accomplished my goal. I felt fit, healthy, and reaped the reward of dedication and hard work when I crossed the finish line and received my medal.
I have wretched pregnancies. I birth 2 and 4lb. babies but gain upwards of 50lbs. Amazing. I HATE being pregnant. Needless to say, after The Blue One was born I decided to do another Marathon. I started running 6 weeks after C-section. Too soon? Yeah probably, but as I like to say, "No pain, no Gain...No Guts, no Glory." I hit the pavement and started to train for yet another Marathon. My goal was to beat my first time. I did. I was able to shed my baby weight, and completed the Marathon before The Blue One turned 1yr. old. I remained about 8lbs. heavier than the first Marathon, but still, I felt healthy, strong, and energetic.
So what happens after the Marathon? Why do I let it all come piling back on? Why is it that eating healthy is sooo hard for me? Since selling my house I have gained 1 stone and since moving to the UK I have gained another. Stress? Depression? Inability to cook? This is the first time in 16 years that I haven't been teaching dance, first time since I have had no one to watch the piggies while I run, and first time since I have sat home watching the History Channel (which I love, but let's face it you aren't exactly burning calories on the couch). I can see this gradual progression of becoming less toned and more flabby. It isn't until I get on the scale, practically have a heart attack, and freak out that I start to do something about it. P90X, I hate you, but I love you. John works long hours and the days here have been really short leaving 0 time for running. I am going to put all my trust in P90X until the days are long enough for me to run.
Here I go. Time to reclaim my health, energy, and strength. Time to feel like I am somewhat decent to look at. I know that it is going to be horrifically hard, but definitely worth it. I am thinking that I will try to do the Brighton Marathon in 2012. That would be fun to have done a Marathon in 2008, 2010, and 2012. We'll see. In the meantime, bring it on Ab Ripper X, bring...... it...... on!









No comments:
Post a Comment