Saturday, 8 January 2011

Hastings- Tragedy on the Beach

I loved Hastings. Hastings is smaller than Brighton and I liked it significantly better. The beaches here were nice and it wasn't so overwhelmingly populated. That being said, we had a great time showing the kids the "rocky" beach. Adessa was bummed that she couldn't make a sand castle and that she didn't have her swim suit. You will see later on that she quickly learned that it isn't swim suit wearing weather :)


A rocky protrusion.

I love rip curls.

Nice big splashing wave.

These next two pictures are the reason why I would offer to take pictures for people at Westminster Abby on my way to the train. You end up with a dorky portrait of me and then a dorky portrait of John, when you could have a sweet romantic picture of the pair of us together. Instead we look dorky.


We loved the beautiful sun rays breaking through the gloomy grey clouds reflecting their glorious beams on the Ocean.

It took a while to reassure Adessa that she could get nearer the water (William was being shepherded away from the water). Adessa is a very cautious child. I typically love how cautious she is, it keeps her out of trouble, but sometimes a little bit of an adventurous bone is good. She finally mustered the courage and started to loosen up and crept closer to the water.

It doesn't take long for all inhibitions to fly out the window. As soon as they think that everything is fine, they jump full throttle into the adventure. As you can see, she has crept really close to the water..... which is starting to draw back. Those of you who have been to the Ocean know what is coming.

The water is drawing back further and further. I am waiting to see what Dad's plan of action will be, yet I sit silently by waiting to capture the whole tragic event on film. Evil evil mom.

And here it comes. Dad runs like lightening swooping in to save the little fella, but miss Adessa is on her own. I can't sacrifice my camera to the splashes from the wave, so I wait for the wave to hit and then run in to pick Adessa up out of the huge puddle of water and sea foam. The poor dear has been knocked over and is soaked wet.

Horrified, she is shaking like a leaf because she is scared....not cold, yet. Wills is still trying to figure out what happened and John is wet through his shoes and up the backs of his pant legs. I was the smart one who wore knee high leather boots and am perfectly dry.

Still upset. I know it sounds terrible, but I love little kids cry faces. Look how cute she is!

Pulling herself together.

Adessa's Aunty Crazy taught her that when you get knocked down "you get back up on that horse and whip it." She did just that. She lingered on the beach long enough for me to empty the rocks, shells, and water from her soaked wet boots.

Ignore the wrinkles, I am sure that I was pondering something earth shattering at this moment. I don't know just what it was that I was pondering, but I am sure that it was good ;)

I loved just how pure white the sea foam was. Whoever named that funky Crayola crayon shade of green "sea foam" never saw sea foam in Hastings because it is PURE white.

The beaches are all rocky beaches with the exception of a couple where they actually shot all of the war film footage for UK war movies. I liked this shot of the rock poking through the hole of the white shell. Adessa thoroughly enjoyed herself wandering around looking for just the right shells to pocket and bring home.


The water was beautiful. We were able to get enough shells to satisfy Adessa and see enough tumbling waves to satisfy the rest of us. I am sure that in the summer Hastings is far busier than it was on this January day, but I would rather peace and calm over sunny and warm.....today anyway. Tired, cold, and wet we headed for McDonald's drive through and then home.

No comments: