Bodiam Castle is probably the coolest Medieval Castle I have ever seen, and is well known to be one of the most evocative in Britain. Just look at the thing.....it's FABULOUS! There are so many things that I loved about Bodiam, but the fact that it was built in 1385 and is the only remaining Castle in the UK to have it's original Portcullis pretty much topped it off. I am still gushing over the thing as I look at at the pictures. *sigh* If you come to Kent go to Bodiam.
This is what you see surrounding the Castle. Yep, beautiful green countryside. We were shocked to see that everybody and their dog wasn't trying to make a buck off of the place. We would have thought that it would be so bogged up with t-shirt stands and gift shops that it wouldn't seem organic, but it wasn't and it looks much like it would have in 1385.
By nature I am one who loves to create. I like to paint, craft, choreograph, arrange, anything that involves creating. I must say, of all the things that I have created miss Adessa Dawn is by far the most fabulous. I put my best work into this creation. I know I have mom goggles on, but look at her.....she is like a miniature version of "Statue of David" like perfection ;)
Aren't these two the cutest couple you have ever seen? The whole time I was thinking about how great some of these pictures would be for my neighbor Christmas Card gifts.
The 3 coats of arms above the Castle entrance. One belonged to Sir Edward Dalyngrigge's family, His wife's Family, and then his I believe Knighted name.
Wait for it.......the.....original.....1385.....Portcullis. Wipe the drool off of your chin. Isn't she perdy? You really can tell a difference between this Portcullis and the others you will see in Castles, this one is the real deal.
1of 28 toilets in the Castle, all of which drained into the mote. Now, try storming through that to attack the Castle!

View of the bridge. It was designed so that archers could basically fire freely upon anyone who tried to attack the Castle.
This window was the chapel window. The chapel would have been in this part of the Castle. I loved the view of the tree behind the window.

The Castle's Murder Holes. This is where they would throw rocks, boiling water, or tar on invaders. They never actually used oil because it was too costly and valuable.
Bodiam has a rich history of Sir Edward being granted permission from King Edward to use his Knightly fortune and turn his present home into a Castle. This was to show off his wealth, power, and to defend the surrounding countryside which isn't too far from the coast. Bodiam was a very elaborate castle with gorgeous grounds during it's time. For more information about Bodiam, it's origins, and it's line of succession visit Wikipedia and enter in Bodiam Castle. After we left the Castle we headed out to the seaside town of Hastings for more Talbot family fun and adventure.






No comments:
Post a Comment