
One of my greatest strengths/weaknesses is my so called honest and rather sarcastic nature. I believe this to be a strength because I am pretty much what you see, and yet it is a weakness because I am the queen of TMI. John has recently asked me to keep him out of my blogging discussions. So what does that mean? Blog about him. This post is dedicated to John! Here comes the TMI, and hopefully I don't embarrass him too badly. John and I have a long history together first as friends, and then as a couple. We met when we were juniors in high school, he was 6 foot 1, shaggy brown hair, and weighed 145 pounds. I could have picked him up and twirled him in my arms if I had wanted to. He was the nicest guy, a little shy, very artistic, earthy, outdoorsy, not such a student, and a long shot from a religious scholar. We used to go to temple square and look at the pictures in the visitor center our senior year in high school for fun and the boy couldn't tell me what a single one of the scripture murals was about. He wasn't certain about a mission and technically speaking graduated high shool by the skin of his teeth, much to my nagging ( I wasn't about to date a drop out)! By the end of John's senior year he had determined to serve a mission; this is where the change began. I went away to college and about 4 months later, John left for the Indianapolis Indiana mission. I have never seen or heard of anyone thriving more on a mission than John. He was mentored by an amazing mission president who taught him the sacred nature of the Priesthood, he fell in love with the words of the gospel, he learned to study, to pray, to lead. He served in various leadership positions on his mission which taught him to become confident and assertive. He learned to love his Father in Heaven and developed an undeniable testimony of the gospel. He was a changed man when he returned. I didn't really know the John that I saw 2yrs. later, but I was thrilled that he had become the man that he was lacking before. I share this brief historical account of John for the purpose of showing you how the g

ospel can change many aspects of a persons life. My darling John the very man I just told you had barely graduated high school just graduated from California State University with a Masters Degree in Business Administration. Not only did he graduate, but he graduated with a 3.92 GPA in the top 20% of his class in the Delta Mu Delta national Business Administration honor society. He is graduating with honors in May and we are all going to California to celebrate his success. He is a gospel scholar and knows almost everything you could ever think of about the gospel. He has read every book and every article ever written about the gospel, he is a member of FARMS and spends his time explaining to a half listening half interested wife what he has just learned about whatever recent gospel topic he is studying. The gangly youth that I fell in love with skiing, rollerblading, mountain biking, and listening to Dave Mathews Band for countless hours while helping me study my AP American History is now a man. He is not just a man he is a strong, worthy, loving, doting, hardworking, ambitious, honest, and good; son, brother, father, husband, and friend. John never once complained about serving in the church while travelling for work, getting his MBA, helping around the home, and being the rock of his family. We hardly ever have time to rollerblade together anymore, our mountain biking days have passed, we still listen to Dave for hours, but the things we spend our time doing together are of far greater importance. I tease him incessantly about any and everything, it is a genetic flaw, but I love him even more. He is my rock, he keeps me grounded, without him I would float off into a hot pink, shiny, furry, rhinestone studded universe. The gospel changes us, refines us, and helps us to become what our Heavenly Father has intended for us to become. I have seen it happen right before my eyes and in my own life. John is truth and righteousness and I love him. So I know, I know, you are thinking to yourself, "well pin a rose on your nose", and you know what, I think I will.
No comments:
Post a Comment