Wednesday, 16 April 2008

Aaaagh!!!!

At 8:00 this morning I received a phone call from my neighbor Paul, "Did you know that your water is on?" Aaaagh, what? My water is on (of course John is out of town this week). 2 minutes later, the phone rings it is my neighbor Chris, "Hey, did you know your water is on?" I love my neighbors. "Yep, I know my water is on, Paul just called, thanks." So I headed outside in my jammies to find that all of my water was on, the sprinklers were blasted, the faucets were pouring, and my filter box was bubbling over with muddy water. It's a good thing I have been training because I had to race to keep my yard from flooding. I ran to the back yard first and shut everything off and then headed to turn off the front. I was able to shut off everything but the filter. For those who don't reside in Bountiful, we have Weber water which is like irrigation water, you can't drink it, and it is filled with seeds and rocks and worms. So I took off my jacket and reached down into the bubbling box of filth. I felt the lever and tried giving it a pull, unsuccessful. I warmed my arm for a second as the water was freezing. 2nd try, the arm goes in, searches through the water for the valve, reaches, grabs, contact is made with not a valve but something slimey? Naturally, I jerked my arm out of the water setting some kind of a record for rapid arm movement. What was it? All I could picture was some kind of giant slug or maybe a water snake. I finally decided that I am just schizo and it was nothing at all. So what do I do? I go next door and get Bob, he saves the day, and turns off the water main for me. Whew, what would I do without neighbors? A few hours later when I went to check the mail I noticed that the water had finally drained from the filter box. I peeked in side to make sure there wasn't a giant slug and I was just schizo, when what to my wondering eyes should appear? A fish. I saw a fish or wait no, this fish has feet, what kind of fish have feet? Is it a salamander? What are those worms doing on it, oh they're not worms, those are just its intestines. Yes, I found a creature. It came through the filter and out the hose. I think it is a salamander, not sure, but I do know I touched the slimey thing, and I am not schizo after all. My hand can still feel the slimey feeling it felt when reaching for the valve, I am still dry heaving a little. If you have ever seen a salamander and this is what they look like let me know, or you can check out my side walk, I have left it there to scare the milk man when he comes. Ha ha ha...

No comments: