Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Oh the Shame!

Back when I was teaching the 3 and 4yr. old classes at my mom's studio I had the funniest experiences. I love the honesty that children possess. At the start of class we would sit in a circle and the kids could each share one thing that had happened that week, with the class. I am certain that the parents would die if they knew some of the things the kids decided to share in class. Deep dark family secrets would be revealed along with information that would make even made me blush a time or two. I felt so embarrassed for those parents. Years have passed and a lot has changed since then. I am on the other side of the fence, Adessa is sharing the deep dark family secrets and I can't do anything about it. every Thursday during the winter I have taken Adessa to McDonalds to get out of the house, have social interactions, and get some exercise. She loves Donalds as she calls it. About 4 weeks ago, we had spent hours at Donalds and it was time to go. I had asked Adessa to come to me 3x only to have her run up into the tube. On the 4th time I chased her down and grabbed her by the arm. "Pop" was the sound I heard and definitely the same feeling I felt. Her arm went limp. She screamed and started to cry, I panicked. I started to bawl, threw her into the car, raced off to kids care. The Doctor was great, he said it was nurse maids elbow, and turned her arm over and popped it back into place. Because Adessa is double jointed, she will be more pre-disposed to having dislocations. I thought I was more traumatized by this experience until Adessa started relaying the incident to random strangers. Everything from "at Donalds, mom grabbed my arm and pulled, I cried the doctor fixed it". Oh the shame!!! Yep, there is no pride in motherhood. Moral of the story, be careful of what you say when you have a 3 or 4yr. old and be careful of what you do to your 2 1/2 yr. old at McDonalds, they won't forget.

No comments: