Today Aparna invited me to participate in a festival that is dedicated to female friends and daughters. Aparna made a fantastic meal as usual, but before eating she held a ceremony where she blesses you and then presents you with a gift. Aparna gave me a lovely purse which I have treasured and placed in my special curio cabinet. Aparna decided that I needed to participate by eating a saree so even though I didn't have one she told me to dress in black which was the colour everyone was meant to wear for this particular festival and then when I arrived she had me wear part of one of her saree's. I love learning about Aparna's culture and festivals and have really enjoyed developing friendships with the women in her community. Ads was included in the blessings and received a gift and sweets from Aparna.
Mau performing the ceremony for Ads.
Aparna performing the ceremony on the women.
I am not going to lie, that purple colour was AMAZING! I wish that we wore colours that rich and bright every day, especially in the winter. It was the most gorgeous saree colour, ever.
As you can see I wore my black 'western' wear whilst most all of the others wore their black saree applicable for this particular celebration. I love Aparna to bits and feel like I have been blessed to have her for a friend. After the ceremony, gifts and blessings we went into the dining room where we sat on the floor and ate, with our hands. I love eating with my hands and have actually become quite good at it. I have learnt that in the Indian culture you eat only with your right hand as your left hand is used to wipe your bottom with. At first learning to tear your puri with just 1 hand is quite tricky, but after a while you really get the hang of it. I have never spent an evening in the company of Aparna, her family or her other Indian friends where I haven't felt welcomed and accepted.

