Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Loch Ness and Eilean Donan Castle


This is one I am ticking off of my bucket list, Loch Ness. Loch Ness is not only a fascinating body of water, but it is also a beautiful village nestled away in the Scottish Highlands. Aunty Mimi was so excited to see Highland Cattle aka "hairy cows" that we had to stop, jump out of the car, and have a photo shoot.







We went on a boat tour on the loch and learnt that the black water is caused from the runoff of peat that grows on the mountain side above the loch. We also learn that the loch is as deep as the mountains surrounding it are high. Every ten years or so they find a seal in the loch which can only survive a few days in fresh water. I have NEVER seen such black water in my life, it felt like we were sailing in molasses. On our boat ride we couldn't help but notice and laugh at the "Alta" sticker on the boat window. This sticker is from Alta ski resort in UT, which just so happens to be my favourite ski resort in UT. We travelled half way around the world to find an Alta sticker, pretty awesome.
















Hughey told us that if we go to Loch Ness then we HAD to see Eilean Donan Castle. Hugh told us that it is the most picturesque Castle in  Scotland. He was not kidding. Eilean Donan was gorgeous and I found it interesting that my ancestors the Vikings actually conquered and ruled over the Castle and area for 400 years. Oh yeah baby. This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.














Though it was a long drive to Loch Ness from Gullane  it was totally worth it. We arrived back home around 2:00 a.m. I was beat and feared that I may have racked up a couple of speeding tickets as I set off a few flashes on the motorway. Today was epic and I was so thrilled to be able to tick off a life long dream to visit Loch Ness.