Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Back to School Party - FHE

"Back to School" is a time that is very bitter sweet for me. I have a lot of memories that are happy, sad,  frustrating, and joyous that I associate with this time of year. Back to school time as a kid meant getting new school clothes, school supplies, backpacks, and a cool themed lunch box. As a teenager back to school meant football games and half time performances, lockers, driving, and dating. Back to school as a co-ed meant roommates, Stadium Way number 35, dance classes, boys, frozen yogurts, more football games and half time performances and some good clean fun. Back to school after University meant preparing my classroom, working on lesson plans, teaching in a studio with the smell of a newly varnished floor, sweaty kids, and making a difference in the lives of Junior High School teenagers. Back to school as a pregnant soon to be first time Mom meant hot and swollen teaching in my studio at the Junior High, pre-eclampsia, selling our condo, buying a house, preemie baby, house falling through, prayers tears and pleading with the Lord to help our baby survive......which she did. Back to school as a "retired" teacher and operating now as a mom means getting kids clothes bought, school supplies purchased, lunch goodies ready, and happy kids geared up for some serious learning. 

I have spent a total of 25 years of my life in a school, whether it was as a student or as a teacher. I LOVE education and find a great deal of value in becoming a life long learner. As you can see back to school time is a pretty big deal in our family as we have spent a majority of our lives associated with school in some way. The funny thing is that John just as a student spent 20 years in school and finished his Masters when Ads was almost 3 years old. We know school and we know it well. Let's hope that our kids learn to love it as much as we do.......or I think we may just freak out ;) I am thinking that if Ads doesn't choose my Alma Mater to attend University I may freak completely out!

I thoroughly enjoyed getting ready for our back to school dinner party and FHE. We invited Sally and Lauren to join us and I planned for Frankie since I knew she would be at her Nan's house and likely we would get to have her with us as well. What a fun group! John and William were totally outnumbered by us girlie's.



For our dinner we had pack lunches.





After we finished eating we played a game where you had 15 seconds to look over my centre piece and then you had to write down as many things as you could remember seeing. Sally won the adult prize and Frankie won for the kids. We then played Back to School Bingo until all the prizes were gone and then we played 3 rounds of stealing prizes. The kids had a great time and did really well at the Bingo. After we played Bingo each person took a pencil and read what was typed on the paper attached and then we discussed why each of the things was important. It was amazing to hear how well the kids understand certain important moral and social principles. Cutest girls ever.



I made one of these pictures for Lauren, Frankie, and Adessa to place in their room through the school year.


The little pencil looking sweets are made of Rolo's and Hershey kisses.


This is us talking about our different topics that were on our pencils.




After our guests left Ads and William opened their back to school gifts from John and me.









The kids each got a new pair of pyjama's and a new outfit for school.




The next night after a bath Ads an William each had a back to school blessing from their father. Both kids are ready for school now and excited as ever. 






I love my kids and am so grateful that I get to be a mom. I know that this is a blessing and I am grateful for it. That being said.......it's CHRISTMAS for me :) Yes that is right, both kids in school is like Christmas for a mom. I get to have a clean and tidy house for at least a couple hours each day. Hallelujah! Happy Back to School.