When I ran my first Marathon Maren sent me a package in the mail containing a funky pair of socks, some pink bubble gum, and some fancy nail polish called "Fuchsia Bling Bling" HERE.....and a tradition was born. Marathon number two I received a package containing similar contents and "Mint Sprint" HERE. When Maren and Jake came to visit in the summer Maren brought her package for Marathon number 3. I didn't open the package until today. I would like to present....."Sonic Boom!" This lovely polish is a mix between coral and red......and I love it. I know I have said before that I have been blessed with the greatest friends in the world, but I have to say it again....I am blessed with the best friends in the world! I am going to sport my nails and my fabulous hot pink sparkle skirt that some other girlfriends sent to me as I run my race.
The race is tomorrow and I have mixed feelings. I have trained really well for the race and have been averaging a minute per mile faster than my last Marathon, which if you are a runner you will know that is a lot. About 2 weeks ago I pinched a nerve or something in my hip, or butt, or back, but whatever it is it has nearly immobilised me. This has caused me many tears, and a lot of frustration. A Marathon is difficult enough when you feel good, that running when you are wounded is going to be a whole different challenge. I feel my great time slipping out of my fingers. On my 20 mile run I averaged an 8:42 mile, which for me is AWESOME. Now I have to just tell myself that I will have another chance to improve my time, but that not ruining my body in this run is more important.
I swear that the strangest things have happened this training period. I am as mindful of my kidney failure during the race as I am my hip/butt/knee/back pain. Perhaps the nerve thing is actually meant to slow me down so as to not damage the kidneys more? Who knows, but it is time to pull myself up by my boot straps and quit feeling upset about my injury and carry on. My brother ran his first half Marathon this year and had a really crazy experience where his friend ended up in hospital and another runner across the hall died. A Marathon is not a simple jog, it is a really difficult race and it can be very taxing on the body. If you want to read about my brother's experience and his friend click HERE. I feel so blessed to feel the support of friends near and far carrying me onward to my race tomorrow. I am one lucky lucky girl.