I personally believe homework assignments that involve "models" of something or "working machines" are actually so the teacher can see which kid has the most clever parents. Does any child actually do all the work on their own? Seriously! It takes a lot of time and resources to come up with a great project, thus my theory that teachers have conspired together and possibly even placed bets to see who is the most clever parent. I am not bagging on teachers, I taught secondary school for 6 years ages 12-15. But, I always provided the materials in class and enough time for the kids to work together and do the work on their own. I am not trying to imply that I was the best educator in the world, I wasn't, but I was mindful of parents income, resources, and of the kids who have crappy parents that don't help them and then send their kids back to school feeling embarrassed and insecure.
When I was teaching Utah Studies I had my students make a poster map of the State. I gave each of the groups a bag of sweets and the responsibility of then deciding how they would use them for the mountain ranges, rivers, etc.. and then design the key accordingly. I counted the candy in each bag and took off points for any pieces of candy that were missing :) When Ads came home with this homework assignment I asked her if she wanted to make it out of sweets? She was all go. I took Ads to the shop and had her pick out the sweets and decide how they would be used. We had "Caramel Apple Suckers" and "Pixie Stix" from the US that family and friends had sent in care packages, so we decided to use some of them as well.
The playground is made of green frosted floral foam blocks covered in food coloured coconut. We built the model directly from what Ads drew. We have a paddling pool, merry-go-round, sand box, bench, tree's, flowers, swing set with slide, and a zip line. I glued the foam blocks onto a canvas that I bought at the pound store and painted green. Ads and John put together the model as it was the day before my Marathon and I was sewing Ads a skirt :) At that point in time I needed a project to distract me from the pre- Marathon nerves. Plus, the skirt matched her t-shirt she wore at the Marathon and looked super cute.
I have been reading a really great book called "Run Like a Mother." In this book it talks about leaving fuel in the tank or spending it all. As I read this I realised that I have always through my training and racing left fuel in my tank because I know that the job of mother is one that has no breaks, time off, or sick days. This model is living proof of that. Mom is the one waking in the night even when she has an early morning run because Hubby leaves early for work and gets home late, mom is the one racing around making sure the kids have all the things they need for school, swimming, Gymnastics, mom is pouring baths, reading books, disciplining an exhausted toy tantrum having 2 year old, kissing boo boo's, mom is negotiating with the kids like a UN official, planning special celebrations, mom is encouraging, motivating, and reassuring. I have loved reading this book because it encourages and supports those of us who are moms to see that we can do the impossible and then we can do more. It is a great read.
I love being a mom. I love making the models, and I love that sub consciously I always leave enough fuel in my tank to be able to give my kids what they need. Ads was so pleased with her model and it was a great time for her and her daddy to work together on something while I watched and enjoyed sewing away. If you are a mother runner or an aspiring mother runner, I suggest you read the book. It is great. The authors also just came out with a book called "Train Like a Mother." I haven't checked it out, but if it is anything like the first I am sure it will be good.
