Thursday, 16 June 2011

The Wedding

Part of the curriculum for Reception at The Highway School is learning about weddings. The students learn about different places where people get married. When asked where people get married the Pink One told her teacher "in Temples" the teacher said "yes that is true," I was shocked.....and proud. Each year the students go to "Christ's Church" and participate in a mock Church of England wedding. The Pink One's teacher put all of the kids names in a hat and pulled out which character they were going to play at the wedding. The Pink One was selected to be Mother of the Bride, which made me a grandmother before I was ready :) 



The Pink One's friend Alex was the Father of the Bride. Aren't they a lovely pair?



I love Alex's mom Maria. Maria is from Spain and her husband Takeshi is from Japan. Spain + Japan = beautiful children. Maria had me to her house for a tea a while back and was so warm and easy to chat with. Now she and I are related.


The Vicar


Sporting the pillowcase dress I made for her. I have been taking sewing lessons on You Tube. You would be surprised at how well you can learn to sew from You Tube. I may no longer be a novice ;)


Isn't the Pink One's teacher lovely in her periwinkle ruffled dress and awesome heels? 


The entrance


Father of the Bride escorting the Bride down the isle.


The Vicar was enthusiastically explaining the importance of marriage. A lot of people here don't marry, but choose a partner and have a couple of kids with them. It was obvious that he was emphasising the commitment that is made between 2 people when you marry and make promises to each other in the sight of God.


Reading vows


Showing the ring.


Performing the ceremony


The bride and groom kneel on these pillows.


The proud parents.


The happy bride and groom :)


Flower girls.


The Pink One's friend Elizabeth.


The guests.


The after party.





Confetti for the newly weds.



The whole class.


Dancing and biscuits at the reception after the wedding.




Little brother joined in for a bit.



Enjoying her biscuits.



The Pink One was super excited all week for the wedding. It was fun seeing a marriage performed by a Vicar. The class will also be studying a non-Christian wedding, but not participating in one. The Pink One has some friends in her class that are non-Christian and I wondered if the parents would have them stay home that day, but they didn't. I love the mutual respect for various cultures and religions I have seen here. I was able to come home and have a follow up discussion with the Pink One about the difference between what we believe and what she participated in. I think that when you erase religion from education you aren't teaching kids tolerance and understanding, but avoidance. People tend to stay away from things they don't understand and that creates fear. The wedding was great, the kids had fun, and the   Pink One learned a lot about a faith different than ours as well as our faith because of this wedding. 


No comments: