Friday, 9 September 2011

Eltham Palace- Time Travellers

While I was busily cleaning my house Leisha phoned up to see if I wanted to go with her and the kids to Eltham Palace for Time Travellers. Time Travellers is something that takes place at different Castles and Manor houses throughout the countryside portraying different periods of time. On this particular day they were delving into the Medieval period. Knowing I had loads to do, but also knowing that it would be fun for the kids I decided to bag the chores and join the others. Off we went.



Every Palace needs a statue with a head laying at its feet right?



After we arrived we decided to take a stroll around the Palace moat. There were huge goldfish that looked like catfish in the moat swimming about that the kids decided to feed. Worried about my wild Blue One I kept nervously lurching over to grab him from getting too close when out of the corner of my eye I see the Pink One with arms flapping like a bird and then a splash! CRAP! I ran over to the moat and pulled a completely freaked out Pink One from the water. Tears, tears, and more tears. It took a bit to get the Pink One settled after her moat swimming/fish nibbling debut, but she finally calmed down enough to carry on with our adventure.



A soaked wet Pink One still in tears. Again I am winning zero mom of the year awards as I choke back the laughter and photograph her fishy smelling cry face.


The villainous moat.


The Palace.


Quickly recovered and carrying on.


Look at those succulent calves. I must say that both my kids have these gorgeous calves that you just want to roast up and gnaw on ;)


The kids were able to go and make shields.


The Pink One creating her own coat of arms. I bet you aren't surprised to see that she chose a unicorn.


The Blue One got creative as well.


Showing off Medieval armour and weaponry.


I learned that what I originally thought to be Medieval pasties are actually there to protect the arm pits. Who knew? You can tell that the kids were thinking "Ugh, mom! Not another picture with a Knight." One day they will think this was cool even if it isn't right now.


We spent a couple of hours bumming around enjoying the activities and then we hurried home to get more work done. I was glad that I took time for the kids even though it meant a late night for me, it was fun for the kids. Neighbour Hugh is great to remind me that I can't take it with me, but I know that the things I can take with me are the memories of this life and so it was worth it. Sometimes I have to remind myself just exactly what it is that I get to take with me, not a messy house (thank Heavens) but happy memories.

No comments: