Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Never in a Million Years...

would I have ever thought that my life would be what it is today. Never. Hubby and I met 15 years ago, 1 scrawny teenager, and 1 healthy sized teenager (you can guess which was who). When he and I met, I had NEVER met anyone like him in my life. He was the nicest, most respectful, complimentary, caring, yet wildly adventurous, fearless, crazy, shy, fella I had ever encountered. The two of us spent hours biking, hiking, roller blading, playing street hockey, skiing, studying for AP classes, listening to good music, and of course hanging out. 




Hubby and I dated for a few years, and then when I was in college I dated other guys so that I could see what the right kind of guy for me would be. Hubby was great, but was there someone out there who was a better match for me? After some horrible dates, good roommate laughs, and a lot of nicknames of boys that would come around our apartment (Putrid Potato Head, B to the 3rd power, Crazy Joe, Creepy Kade), I quickly realised that there were a lot of guys out there that were odd. There were also a lot of guys that were fun, so much fun, but just not the right fit for me. After 5 years I knew that Hubby was right and we were married.


It is true that after we were married we both still had to finish our educations, I had one more year at University and Hubby had at least 4 for a Bachelors Degree. Hubby went on to get his Masters Degree which was an additional 2 years of school. We had zero savings or great jobs, and only 1 borrowed car.  But, what we had was more important, we had a determination to work hard and struggle together to make our life AWESOME. Marriage is a huge commitment, for me it is an eternal commitment. I don't believe that anyone should get married before they are ready, but I also believe that when you know that the person is right, then you should get married. I know that some people think that we are crazy for getting married as young as we were (almost 22), but marrying when we did has helped us to grow together, sacrifice for the other person, and have a whole bunch of fun with a best friend. 


Hubby and I have so many fun memories together and not a lot of baggage from past relationships. The other day we were chatting about which "era" of our marriage has been the most fun; 1- the Cedar City and my senior year of University era, 2- The Sweet Violet West Valley era, 3- Our super stylish Condo and swimming pool in Bountiful era, OR 4- our house in Bountiful and having children era. Our 5- living in London era is not yet open for deliberation :) When we were finished we found that there was something that we loved about each era and it was really difficult to choose. Hubby and I have really and truly enjoyed our journey. Don't be fooled, our journey has had many bumps and has been far from picture perfect, but there isn't anyone I would rather struggle with than him.


Thanks for taking me on the most frightening, thrilling, daring, rewarding, fun, fantastic, and educational adventure of my life, being a wife and a mother. Happy 11th Anniversary babe, you ROCK!

No comments: