Saturday, 23 July 2011

Battle of Hastings and Abbey

The Battle of Hastings took place on October 14th 1066. The Normans and English were a pretty equal match and King Herald II and Duke William were comparable leaders. However, King Harold II was killed in battle (shot through the eye with an arrow)  and William and the Normans prevailed. William became known as William the Conqueror and became William I, the first Norman King of England. In an attempt to win over the people and atone for the battle of Hastings, William built an Abbey on the battle grounds. For more information on the Battle of Hastings click HERE.



When we arrived in Battle, there was a scarecrow festival taking place in the village. The Pink One loved the scarecrows, and I thought that they were utterly creepy.



It is no secret that I have a thing for windows. I love looking at windows and I love photographing them.



The Battlefield. I love battle fields, you can always sense a different kind of spirit roaming around. I remember going to Gettysburg and feeling a very distinct spirit on that battlefield and I remember  feeling that same way at the Colosseum in Rome.






We loved this hollowed out tree. The Pink One was a bit hesitant to climb inside when she saw some webs and bugs in there, but she decided that the coolness out weighed the creepiness.


Bits of the Abbey buildings from the battle field.




What is cooler than a battle axe and a sword? I mean really!






If I cut his hair do you think he will lose his strength?






The Abbey. The Abbey was of course destroyed by Henry VIII when he ordered the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1536-1541). Okay, I want to wring his neck. This place was absolutely beautiful. How could ANYONE order to have such a labour of love, artistry, and hard work destroyed? What a nut job!


You had me at cathedral arches.








The great thing about the historic sights that are in ruins is that there is always something for the kids to climb on and explore.


The Pink One collected a bit of "wall" that she has been playing with all evening.




Wild thing.






Yep, it really is a boarding school....... and a posh one for that matter.


The School.


I LOVED this little pub right across from the Abbey's gatehouse. This pub is beautiful and totally crooked. I was thinking that in UT it would have been condemned for its unstable looking structure, but here is a fantastic little pub circa 1430. AMAZING. If you look closely at the picture you can clearly see just how crooked it is.


I have included a video touring the battle field and telling the story of the battle, fascinating. Battle = AWESOMENESS. Not only is this place of immense historical significance to England, but it is also beautiful, and the town is incredibly quaint.

No comments: