Wednesday, 28 April 2010

One Year Ago Today


One year ago today I was feeling REALLY crappy. It is so hard to know if you are really feeling that crappy or if you are just wimpy. I have never considered myself to be wimpy, but I had felt moderately crappy for so long that I was beginning to wonder. Lack of fetal movement is bad, I learned this with my first born so you can imagine my stress when I noticed it with #2. Monday night I swung by LDS after my teaching shift at the studio (where I had demonstrated some fine dance moves), and asked them to monitor me. They said I was fine and if I was still worried to come back in the morning. Couldn't sleep, the pain was too much. The next morning I was having contractions 2 minutes apart so I hopped in the tub. After my bath I was so sick I decided to drive myself to the hospital. I honestly thought they would say the same thing as they had the night before, you are fine, but if you feel worried come back. The contractions I have are not like normal contractions. I know it seems weird, but it is pretty much my placenta abrupting and my uterus freaking out. When I got to the hospital they hooked me up to the monitor at Maternal Fetal Medicine for about 15 minutes and then literally rushed me to maternity. I will never forget the nurse marching in with an IV and my eyes as big as saucers. I asked her what the IV was for and she told me, "This is because you are having a baby today." Immediate tears. I knew that I was 2 weeks further along than I had been with Adessa, but I wasn't ready for another 6 weeks in the NICU. The Doctor came in and told me that John had 1/2 hr. to get there or he would not see the baby be born. Needless to say, John came into the operating room just as they were cutting me open. William John Talbot was born 4lbs. 1oz. a beautiful silver haired little nugget. They gave him a little oxygen and then incubated him. I will confess that it is always hard not being able to see the babies after they are born. You always see how they place the wet gooey little thing on the mothers chest and she seems so happy. I get to go to recovery and then after everyone else in the family has seen the baby, I get to be wheeled down. It's all good, I love them just the same. William lost down to 3lbs. 12oz. but after only 10 days in the NICU was able to gain up to 4lbs. 4oz. and come home. Bringing home a 4lb. 4oz. baby is another story for another day, but today is my Willie's Birthday. I love my little fighter, they nick named him Wild Bill in the NICU. My favorite nurse told me that there is an advantage to having IUGR babies (intra uterine growth restricted- meaning they should be bigger than they are at birth) and that is that they have such a will to survive because they start fighting in the uterus. That's both of my piggies. Happy Birthday Willie. I always fall apart on my piggies Birthday's because I wonder what would happen if I hadn't gone in when I did? I am so blessed to have them.

No comments: