Friday, 3 January 2014

New Year, New Me

It's a New Year and time for a 'New Me.' I cannot remember the last time when I really felt strongly that I needed to straighten myself out with some serious New Year resolutions. I have allowed myself to slip into some bad habits which I have bubble wrapped in a protective layer of denial and rationalisation, of which I am wondering whether or not I could win a competition at. At least I excel at something, right? Okay, so denial and rationalisation aren't exactly the types of things you want to excel at, thus my resolutions for a new year and a new me. I have always been a goal oriented person, I like goals, setting them, ticking them off my list with an overwhelming sense of accomplishment. I thrive with structure and purpose and I like challenges (you don't run 5 Marathons unless you like a wee bit of a challenge). However, this year I have struggled a bit. As I reflect over my year I certainly ticked the boxes and accomplished a number of goals, but I find myself really struggling to manage my time well which is causing me to feel disorganised, rushed, and exhausted. So, I have an epically long list of new resolutions that are going to help my super ADD, OCD brain to get the proper rest it needs and to stay focused and organised on the tasks and goals at hand.

We sat as a family and discussed our new goals and what we were going to do to be able to accomplish these fantastic new goals. I am a very visual learner and a huge sucker for a motivational poster. I figured if genetics were really that powerful then my kids would benefit from some new motivational posters of their own to remind them of their new goals for the coming year. I looked back through some pictures of the year that I thought would match up with their listed goals and then jumped on my favourite free photo editing site PIXLR to make the pictures into motivational posters. I am going to print the posters off as 8x10 prints and blue tack them up the stairwell and near the kids room. Often times we set a goal and by the years end we cannot even remember what the goal was! But just think, if you had it printed as a motivational poster and posted in the house you simply could't escape it, right? Such is my thought process.


Here are the kids resolutions on posters. I haven't made up mine yet, but I am excited to see if they help me stick to my goals this year. Happy New Year! Here's hoping 2014 will be the best year yet.