This post is a little bit of this and that which has been going on in our crazy busy lives. Starting this whole thing off is Williams hair. Can I just say that this kids hair grows like CRAZY! William has the most beautiful colour and texture of hair. My friend Sally once called it "touch me" hair and that is what most people who see William do, touch it. I will probably cry when it loses its beautiful baby blonde, but in the mean time I love when he gets a haircut and his face looks supper chubby.
The other night I went in to peek at the kids before I went to bed and this is how I found Ads asleep. She was sitting cross legged laying flat on her face. Are you kidding me? Who can do that while they are awake let alone asleep. She is definitely supple and doesn't even realise how lucky she is. I repositioned her to what I thought looked like a more comfortable sleeping position and then headed off to my own bed.
Hair salons in the UK are NOT cheap. Long gone are the days of a super quick super cheap hair trim at Super Cuts. It would cost me £30.00 for a trim which is the equivalent of $50.00..... just for a trim. I flatly refuse. So I asked John to trim an inch off of my hair for me. It is amazing how quickly an inch can turn into oh say 3 1/2!!!! Even though I didn't get an inch it was still worth saving the £30.00.
Usually I am documenting William's goose eggs, however, the winner of this one goes to Adessa! Running wildly and tripping will typically end poorly. Such was the case with Ads.
I LOVE the spider webs here in the UK. We had a fog that left all of the garden spider webs dewy. Pretty neat looking, hey.
I had been downstairs working on something and when I went upstairs THIS was hanging on Ads bedroom door. I nearly passed out. One Direction? Does she even know who these people are?! I had to get to the bottom of this one pronto. Lovely Francesca gave Ads this poster because apparently Frankie is a "HUGE" fan of One Direction. Umm, you girls are 7. Thankfully Ads never noticed when the poster disappeared off her door and was never seen again. Momma is NOT ready for posters and heartthrobs just yet, give me a few more years.
Bonfire night is also known as Guy Fawkes night here in the UK. Guy Fawkes is the guy who tried to conspire to blow up parliament, was caught, leapt off the platform at his hanging, was still hung, then beheaded, and then drawn and quartered and had each of his bits sent to the 4 corners of the kingdom. Pretty horrid and cool, right? So we celebrate this event every year in the UK with bonfires, bbq's, and fireworks. We had a fun Bonfire night with our Churches Youth Group at President Turner's Manor home/Estate. It was a blast!
Adessa drew a picture of a rainy day and this is what all of the clouds on her picture looked like :) I may have a budding artist in my house. I laughed so hard I cried. Clouds......hmmm.
The kids had a day off of school so Aparna and i took them to the Natural History Museum inS. Kensington. While we were there we walked up to the LDS Chapel and Visitors Centre in Hyde Park where my cousin is serving as a Missionary for the LDS Church. It was fun seeing Sister Belnap and giving her a hug.
I took the kids to Costco to get a few things and to have a spot of lunch. On the way home I noticed the ride was particularly quiet, but rather than questioning as to why it was quiet I simply enjoyed.....big mistake. When we turned into the driveway Ads hollered "Mom! William has coloured his face!" I turned around and THIS is what I saw. I had to quickly turn away so that the little Master wouldn't see that I was choking back laughter. Oh how I love this boy. You can tell by the look on his face that he knew he was in trouble when I turned around and saw him.
President Turner is the Stake President of our Church which means that he is the minister over a certain area of Church members. When we went to the Bonfire night at his home his wife was lovely enough to tour me through bits of their Manor house that dates back to the Middle Ages. This is one of those times and moments where you realise that you are living among ancient history and it feels pretty darn cool, unlike the other feelings you experience when you pay the equivalent of $100.00 to fill a car with gas the size of a VW golf, that is not cool. One of the things that I loved in this house was the way that they had repurposed things in it over the centuries. This fireplace mantle for example has been made from headstones. How. Cool. Is. That!
I am one of those mom's that HATES messes, but I also know the importance of kids expressing themselves through their imaginations and creative play. This means that my house typically looks like a bomb sight, simply because I think the skills my kids develop from making messes and happy memories are more important than me having a tidy home. One day they will be grown and gone and my house will be spotless. Today's creative play turned into a "Yerd Sayl." Since they don't have Yard Sale's here in the UK or none that I have ever seen at any rate I am guessing that Ads remembers when we were selling off all our treasures before we moved to the UK. It is funny because Ads holds onto all of her American memories like sacred treasures, she is very reluctant to conform and will write and speak as much as an American as she can remember how. William on the other hand has lived in the UK longer than the US and has a stronger UK influence in his speech. I really love my kids despite the fact that they make me crazy when they make huge messes, however I can tell you in all honesty that I have happy children that are confident and feel loved and that makes me feel happy as a mom.
