Monday, 23 December 2013

My Homemade Christmas!

Let me just begin by saying, I love making things. There's nothing quite like looking at a completed project and thinking "whoa, I am AWESOME!"  I have always struggled to just sit on the sofa and relax whilst watching a t.v. program or a movie. Historically I have been crocheting scarves or blankets, making bracelets for dance students, cross stitching, making fleece hats for preemie babies in the NICU or modge podging some fantastic wood and paper craft all whilst spending 'quality' time with my other half. Sitting and doing nothing is NOT in my DNA, so I channelled all of my creative energy into my 'homemade Christmas' and used it to my advantage. This year my DIY Christmas project was coasters. I gathered together my fabric scraps, old jeans, ordered a few fabric bits on ebay, grabbed my hot glue gun and headed into battle. 

I decided that the end of August would be the perfect time to get started on my Christmas crafts and I hot glued until I couldn't move my hand for days! No exaggeration. I thought that after the second day of experiencing major hand pain I had acquired a serious hot glueing injury, but fear not all returned to normal after a couple of weeks. With my hand to heart I will say that I should have started my Christmas crafting in July, August was almost too late to complete all of the projects and gifts I wanted to make. I absolutely loved making the coasters and I think that the colour combinations I used looked great and made for a nice gift. This is the perfect neighbour gift, teacher gift, friend gift, co-worker gift, etc.. I made a few festive ones, but the others I put some thought into the individual and what I thought he or she would like.













Since we are without family here in England Adessa and William have a couple of friends that are 'cousin friends' that we do a little gift exchange and Christmas celebration with. This year I made each of the kids perform a song or dance before they could open their presents, just like I had to do when I was a kid. The performances were great and William's dance had us ALL in stitches. Oh mercy, that kid is a crack up. For the friends presents I used the same coaster concept and made them little baskets. Inside of the baskets I wrapped up a little nail polish, lip balm, soaps, bath bombes, etc.. I think that all of the kiddo's liked their baskets and they can use them to keep as a trinket basket when they have used up all their gifts inside. 








For the kids teachers I used one of my homemade coasters on the bottom of a mug which I filled with mini marshmallows, hot cocoa packets and candy canes. I made cinnamon and clove tree ornaments in the shape of a heart and tied them around the mug. I think that the tree ornaments were a definite favourite for me as they smelled fantastic both cooking and as they were tied on the gifts.






Along with the coasters I made jars of 'Christmas Scent.' Christmas scent can be used on the stove top or in a crock pot and puts out the most amazing spicy scent that can be used for weeks. Over the last several months I have kept my pasta jars which I washed and removed the labels from, painted the lids with red gloss spray paint and then foraged lovely bits of greens and berries from my garden to beautify the exterior. I had fun dipping the pine cones I had foraged in wax and rolling them in gold hologram glitter.  










Class treats for the kids involved 66 marshmallows on lollipop sticks dipped in cadbury chocolate and rolled in crushed up candy cane. This is the perfect gluten, egg and nut free treat to pass out for school, plus it looks pretty and tastes great.






I had a lot of fun with my large baskets that I made for my 'Get Festive Basket.' Again, this is a gift that does not cost a lot of money, but will be a gift of time and labour and is super cute! I decided the size I wanted the baskets to be and then arranged my fabrics of varying textures to suit.





In my 'Get Festive Basket' I put a couple of mugs, hot chocolate, mini marshmallows, a CD of Christmas music, Christmas Scent and a set of coasters. The purpose of the basket was to make yourself a hot cocoa, put up your busy feet, put on some lovely Christmas tunes, simmer your Christmas scent and sit back and feel festive! I wrote a little poem to go on the basket giving instructions as to the purpose and use of the basket. Of course when all the goodies are gone the recipient is left with a stinking cute basket that can be used for various bits and bobs.





Christmas baking. I LOVE making Christmas sweets! My mom never baked much at Christmas time, but my MIL does and I developed a love for Christmas baking from her. This year I put together 18 plates of Christmas goodies to take around to friends, neighbours, missionaries and Church teachers for my kids. I baked gingerbread cookies, coconut ice, chocolate pretzel toffee, caramels, Oreo truffles, white chocolate peppermint pretzels and my friend Carrie's fudge (which NEVER turns out as good as when Carrie makes it). Living in England and baking sweets is fun at Christmas time because many of our traditional American Christmas candies and sweets are uncommon here, so to have a plate of all of the following is quite a unique experience.



Gingerbread cookies



White chocolate peppermint pretzels





Coconut ice is a very British sweet. This is a sweetie I have picked up making over here at Christmas and find my neighbours really enjoy.





I am certainly NOT a professional photographer nor would I ever begin to pretend to be one, however, I love to take pictures and have a fairly artistic eye (which I attribute to having a degree in dance). Each year I develop a bunch of my favourite photo's I have taken throughout the year and stick them to cards which are then bagged up into sets and given as Christmas gifts. This serves two purposes: 1. I get to use my pictures for something meaningful and 2. cards are really useful and expensive to buy. This year I thought that I hadn't taken any interesting pictures but then remembered a day out in the meadow behind our house with the kids. To my surprise I had taken some fantastic shots that made for some interesting cards this year.





There is no question that having a homemade Christmas requires a lot of thought, time, and hard work, but it will in fact save money and provide friends and family with unique and interesting gifts. I find that my love and appreciation for people deepens when I think about them and make something with that particular person in mind. A gift card is a gift card, no thought, just ticking a box. I prefer a little thought and a whole lot of TLC. It's not too late to put together a last minute homemade gift for someone to show them that they are worth the time and the thought and that you appreciate them and their friendship. Happy Christmas to all of my friends and family! Now it's time for me to start thinking about next year and what would be fun to make...