Thursday, 12 September 2013

William's School Nativity

I was SUPER stoked for William's Nativity performance this year as it was his second year and really his year to shine. It wasn't long before the children entered and just as last year William was the only child NOT wearing his costume. William has this thing about clothes and wearing them, a daily battle I fight very carefully with him and a battle his teachers obviously had lost. John and I were gobsmacked, but still hopeful that he would have his moment to shine. Shine, oh shine he did, we just hadn't expected it to be as he went crawling towards the manger of baby Jesus only to be chased down and retracted by his teacher. Have mercy! Wherever William goes his reputation precedes him. Cute and cheeky, but exhausting.







Since William would not participate as he was meant to do, he was given an instrument to play. I looked away briefly and when I looked back he was playing his instrument laying on his back with his feet in the air. I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry.





The teacher dragging him back after retracting him from his mad dash to the manger.



How can you be cross at "the face of an angel," which his teacher says he has.






Was it the Nativity Play I had expected? No. But I still love the fact that in England you can have a Nativity Play in the public schools, even if my kid is the one not in costume playing his instrument upside down.