I am sure that I mentioned in my Valentine's Day post last year that Valentine's Day in the UK is more of a lover's holiday. This took me by surprise when I went to the shops to get valentines for the kids to pass out at school for their friends and found none. In the UK kids pass out cards at Christmas to their friends and then they don't do anything on Valentine's Day. It is sometimes a task blending the best of both cultures so that my kids don't miss out on the great parts of American culture as well as embracing the wonderful traditions of British culture. All in all it means that we do a bit more celebrating than we normally would. The kids made valentines that we delivered to friends along with plates of heart shaped sugar cookies, an American Valentine's Day MUST have.
The kids woke up to pink milk and pink heart shaped pancakes with heart shaped strawberries. This is the part of being a mom I really enjoy. I had little Valentines from mom and dad set out at their place setting on the table as well as the valentines packages Gucci sent for them. The kids certainly felt the 'love' with their heart themed breakfast.
I had dipped Strawberries and made some ever so decadent chocolate cake pops for our Valentines dinner dessert. Each year I make the same dinner for Valentines: chicken dumplings, gravy, rice, and broccoli. We all love it. I need to learn a gluten free option since Hubby has celiacs, I haven't put the time into learning how to cook gluten free just yet, but I will.
Hubby made me a lovely bouquet of peanut butter cups and Nutrageous bars. Clever. I didn't just marry the man for his looks! Since our first Valentines together Hubby has given me a watch for a Valentines gift and Baby G is always my choice of watch. I love them.
I don't love it when people say "it shouldn't take Valentine's Day for you to show someone that you love them," I agree, but I still think that making a certain day special for the people you love is more than worthwhile. I love my little imperfect family and I love that I get to make things pink and chocolatey one day a year without having to explain myself for doing it.







