Having a child that is potty trained is glorious! I don't even remember the odours that can arise from diapers, though I do remember that they can be nasty. I have had the occasional leave your cart in the middle of the store to run her to the potty experience, which I don't mind. But our latest was truly a miracle. After teaching dance for 3 hours on Friday evening I grabbed a sleeping Adessa from her grandma's in West Valley to make the trek back home to Bountiful. Of course it is rush hour traffic on the freeway (everyone wants to get home on a Friday evening as fast as they can), and of course I am driving in the car pool lane, and of course she suddenly wakes from a deep sleep screaming that she has to pee! So I panic with the first exit available a mile away, no dotted lines to exit carpool, and 4 lanes of rush hour to traverse to even get to the exit. She is screaming and crying and I panic. Is it illegal to pull over on the freeway during traffic hour to let your kid pee next to the car? I wasn't going to risk it, so I risked life and limb flying across lanes of traffic right to the exit. We were able to exit, drive a distance on Beckstreet to the Tesoro. I pulled her from the car, ran into the gas station, ran into the available potty, sat her down, and let the pee rain down. I walked out exasperated exclaiming as loudly as I could that everyone in the gas station had just witnessed a miracle (John would have been so embarrassed, it's a good thing he wasn't present for my declaration). It isn't everyday that a child is able to allow their bladder to extend to the size of a watermelon, but she held strong until we got to the potty. After purchasing a few treats to get us home, I thanked my lucky stars and my father in Heaven that I didn't have to spend the next half hour taking a part a car seat to wash and sanitize. I must confess that I did let my mind wander back to the advantages of diapers, but really, I would rather run like a banshee to a potty than have those stinky things sitting around. Looks like I have 4 more months of diaper free. Whew!
No comments:
Post a Comment